Winter Resort Work In Japan

Qualifications and Requirements

There is a special arrangement between the Japanese government and other countries for a special working holiday visa. If you are a citizen of Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Canada, U.K., Korea, Ireland, Germany, Denmark and France between 18 to 30 years old, you will initially qualify for this opportunity.

Only those applying for ski patrol positions are required to have a first aid certificate. There are no other strict qualification requirements to get a resort job in Japan. Naturally though, if you do have special ski instructor certifications, you have a greater chance of getting accepted for a position with a higher rate.

Language requirements are set at a minimum. You should have completed a year of language study. This is understandable considering that you will be interacting with both local and foreign tourists. Learning should not be a problem though since there are several programs online that you can take to master the tongue. You can also supplement your conversational skills when you are already in the country. There is nothing more effective than learning by using the language.

Work Conditions

Usually, winter resorts require employees to report for work 40 to 48 hours a week. On very busy seasons like December or February, staff and instructors may have to work 7 days a week. Overtime work however is compensated at 125{a1b94c208ea002da2d415236ef8f29ab629823417839183495f77c410907fc1f} the hourly rate.

Hourly pay will differ per resort. Ski instructors in Hokkaido are often paid more than those in other locations. If you get a spot in Hokkaido you might land a generous rate of 1000 yen. Other resorts pay around 650 to 700 yen.

Applicants who get accepted for work in Japan are covered by work insurance so you don’t need to worry about this. This is not, however the same as travel insurance for which you need to pay for yourself.